I am ten years old. I love to draw, paint, read, write and play soccer. I also really like photography.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Robert McCloskey


I live in Papua New Guinea so I can't really take art lessons, so what I do is I look at the work of famous artists and try my best to copy (not trace) them.  Today I did a picture from Robert McCloskey's "Make Way For Ducklings."

Robert McCloskey lived from 1914-2003.  As a child he was fascinated by art and mechanical inventions.    He decided to illustrate children's books during the Great Depression.  Then, during World War 2, he was a reporter for the American Military.  He drew visual aids for the military strategies.  His writing is great, and I really love his art. 

I think that drawing what I see in books and in real life is just as good as real art lessons.  Especially since my dad is good at art and can teach me things.

Leave a comment if you can think of other ways to learn art without lessons.  I would greatly appreciate it!

2 comments:

  1. I think that drawing things from books and from what you see in life are great ways to teach yourself to draw. You are obviously very talented! If you have internet access, you could probably also look up drawing tutorials online. Keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drawings are really good. I think the way you are getting your "art lessons" is a great way to do it. Bob and I enjoyed reading your blog in the past and are glad that you are starting it up again. Keep up with the great writing and drawing!

    ReplyDelete